Saturday, May 13, 2006

A mom's worth, but what about Dads?

The first time I had ever heard about an annual salary estimation for moms was about 5 years ago when I was a stay-at-home-mom. At the time I thought it was really cool to see. It was a way for me to show my husband in black and whitedollars and cents just how much work I do at home.

Recently, there has been quite a bit of talk about a Mom's worth. One of the other softball moms from my daughter's team was saying that it was discussed on a national news channel (must have been when I was on vacation). I found out that there is also an article at Salary.com that talks about a mom's worth. The only "problem" I have with the article is that now it goes into a working mom's worth too. I guess they did that because they didn't want to leave working moms out and make them feel like they don't do as much at home as stay at home moms. I not sure if that's true, that's just what it seemed like to me.

Here's the problem with that: Now that they've decided to include working moms, I can't show this to my husband. I mean after I show him that a stay-at-home mom does about $134,121 worth of work each year, he going to see the part for working moms. That part takes into consideration a working mom's salary plus what she does at home to determine here total "mom salary." I just know once my husband sees that he's going to say, "Well, what about working dads?"

And he's right, after all, if you're going to come up with a "mom salary" for working moms, now men are going to want to know what their "dad salary" would be. This means you'd have to take my husband's work salary into consideration then and on his "dad earnings." If for moms you add on income for housekeeper, van driver, cook, laundry machine operator, janitor, etc then for dads you'd have to add on earnings for things like:

plumber
gardener
groundskeeper
landscaper
dog walker
dog trainer
dog groomer
electronic device maintenance
mechanic
major appliance installer
furniture assembler
child care assistant
painter
tile installer
furniture delivery driver
etc, etc, etc

Now with all that totalled up, my husband would yet again, outshine me in the monetary earnings department. For me that just defeats the purpose of being able to show him this "mom salary." The whole idea was to be able to see that even though I don't earn as much money as him, what I do is just as valuable. But now, I'm pretty sure that he would easily best my $150,000+ annual "mom salary" which puts what he does right back up at a higher value than what I do. KWIM? After all, his "dad earnings" would only have to be about $50,000 to top me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home