Friday, October 20, 2006

Shopping Cart Problem

And no, I'm not talking about online shopping carts. I'm talking about an actual shopping cart. My son and I were in Walmart the other day and he wanted to go in the back of the shopping cart. I usually am pretty comfortable with that because, in most shopping carts, there's no way he can fall out unless he's climbing. The sides are high enough to where he can't just flop over.

Well....that's not the case with the Walmart cart we were using. I was walking down and aisle and I stopped to look at something. He must have already been sort of leaning out because once I stopped, he kept going. It was like slow motion. I saw the top part of his body continue to go forward, then I saw his feet lift up, and then I looked to his hands to hopefully see them hanging on to the edge of the cart. But no, his hands were already over the edge, not hanging on to anything. He went head first right into the concrete ground of Walmart. I couldn't believe it. The sound when he hit the ground just made my heart sink. I didn't know what to do. He started crying, but not as hysterically as I was feeling. Then a women suggested that I go to the McDonald's that's inside the Walmart and get some ice.

My son does not like ice on his head. He screamed more when I put the ice on than when he fell. I thought there was going to be a huge lump on his head. I thought he would continue to cry and cry because something else that I couldn't see was hurt. But he seemed okay given what he had just been through. But just to be safe, I took him to the ER. We were there for about 3 1/2 hours total. They said he looked fine. He was acting fine too. The bump on his head was barely noticable if you were across the room. They said to just watch for vomiting or watch if he has trouble walking.

I'm so, so, so glad he's okay. I've never had any of my kids fall out of a shopping cart before. It's quite a scary experience. I carried him quite a bit for the remainder of the day. Thankfully when I told DH about what happened, he was concerned for our son, but he was also concerned about me. He kept asking me if I was okay. That helped me relax for some reason. DH also chose that moment to tell me that he had also fallen on his head when he was younger. But his fall was from a car window. And he turned out just fine right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ambitious Fledgling said...

You should have reported it with a supervisor at WalMart and to see if they would possibly pay that ER bill. They love to do those things for fear of a bigger suit.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

You know I did think about that, but I was so worried about my son that I didn't feel like trying to find someone to report it too. Plus I felt like they would just look at me like "Look at this silly mom trying to blame this on us. She should have been watching her kid better." KWIM? I didn't want to go through that. Plus I wasn't sure if I really could "blame" it on them. I mean every shopping cart has those warnings on them.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home